The Senior Controls Specialist provides leadership, experience and field level ownership to deliver the highest quality products in the building automation trade. This position requires a detailed understanding of mechanical and electrical systems and equipment common to the commercial HVAC industry. In addition to mechanical knowledge, construction project experience and managerial skills, the senior controls specialist should be competent in working with information technology equipment, computers, routers and IP connected devices. The Senior Controls Specialist can perform field engineering and system troubleshooting to deliver a fully functional and user friendly DDC system with minimal support and direction. The Senior Controls Specialist is expected to meet hourly budgets and uphold performance standards set by management, and to comply with all company policies, procedures, beliefs and values.
This position requires a person with good written and oral communication skills, and a working knowledge of: Electrical & Mechanical Systems, Building Automation Systems and Controls. Individuals will have demonstrated IT network programming and troubleshooting skills with the ability to use Scheduling Tools and business tools such as MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Drafting Tools such as AutoCAD, Visio and Blue Beam Adobe Editor.
- Understand, accept and support MacDonald-Miller’s Operating Guidelines, Operational Beliefs and Customer Commitment.
- Conform to MacDonald-Miller Safety Guidelines and embrace a culture of safety.
- Possess detailed knowledge of electrical components and electrical theory, including troubleshooting and repair.
- Install and set-up IT network-related equipment; switches, routers, computers, etc.
- Interface with customer IT departments for control system connectivity.
- Webpage Development.
- Proficient at reading electrical, architectural and control drawings and project documents.
- Interpret project requirements from write-up, scope, specification, system functional capabilities and via direct communication with sales staff or customer.
- Develop and write necessary Niagara software to meet project requirements.
- Confirm that electrical systems and equipment operate properly via the control system.
- Perform thorough point testing of all new points, and functionally testing associated systems.
- Identify and communicate any associated points, equipment, and system deficiencies.
- Provide written record of system and component testing on all projects.
- Document, follow-up, and resolve controls and customer relation related issues.
- Ensure proper as-built documentation and operating system back-up are completed.
- Instruct customer or end-user on system operation.
- Establish and maintain relationships within MMFS, including other trades and technicians.
- Promote, maintain and enhance new and existing customer relationships.
- Actively participate in the MacDonald-Miller sponsored education and training program.
- Assist Controls Technicians and Service Technicians with Project/Technology/Computer related issues.
- Continually seek proficiency in electronic controls as well as energy conservation programming and access / security control systems.
- Able to support periodic on call duties and assignments.
- Able to work extended or weekend hours.
- Perform additional tasks as assigned.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
The individual must demonstrate:
- Field level experience working on HVAC mechanical and electrical components.
- Tridium Niagara R2, AX, and N4 Certified.
- Expert Level Programmer with Niagara based control systems.
- Experience with Honeywell Spyder and Siemens Talon BACnet Product Lines
- Ability to develop and maintain secure IP network architecture and administration.
- Artistic aptitude in web page development and graphical user interface.
- Ability to effectively interact with customers, field personnel, sales, and office staff.
- Experience with competing brand building automation systems (Siemens, Alerton, Honeywell, Johnson Controls, Trane, Distech, etc..) a plus.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, persuasion and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to accurately and calmly handle multiple priorities with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to consistently set goals and meet deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to flexible responsibilities.
- Self motivated.
- Ability to work independently or in a team atmosphere.
- Pride in one’s work and accept a level of responsibility for his/her professionalism and accuracy.
- Qualities of an innovative thinker and team leader.
- A positive image of the Company and herself/himself to customers.
- Have an excellent attendance record at prior employment.
- A valid license and clean driving record.
This is a condensed job description. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties this position may perform.
DESIRED CERTIFICATIONS/ EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor Science or Technical Degree or Equivalent Work Experience in Computer Science and Electrical/Mechanical Building Systems.
- Microsoft Certified Professional.
- Tridium AX/N4 certification or equivalent building automation experience.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
The candidate must possess and be adaptable to the following physical abilities and working conditions:
- Constant computer use.
- Ability to see, hear well (either naturally or with correction) and speak clearly.
- Coordinate the movement of your eyes, hands, and fingers.
- Reach for, handle, use fingers and manipulate objects.
- Physical requirements include: standing, bending, and sitting; repetitive motions of hands and wrists.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be capable of working extended hour days when job/business needs demand.
EMPLOYEE BENEFIT PROGRAM
MacDonald-Miller Facility Solutions presently provides employee coverage for:
- Medical, dental, vision for employee (coverage available for dependents for shared premium).
- 401k retirement plan including Company matching.
- Holiday pay.
- Vacation and sick leave compensation.
- Disability income protection.
- Employee and Dependent Life Insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Please read all pages of this job description. Your resume or application is reviewed prior to setting up a personal interview, so please make sure your resume is up to date. If you do not have a resume, you may fill out an application at the address listed above.
- MacDonald-Miller Facility Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a non-smoking facility. MacDonald-Miller is also a drug and alcohol free workplace and tests all new hires (subject to and in accordance with union bargaining agreements).
- MacDonald-Miller Facility Solutions participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. This information is kept completely confidential, is obtained only after a candidate is hired, and will not be used to pre-screen any job applicant.
- This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position would perform. All employees of MacDonald-Miller are expected to perform tasks as assigned by MacDonald-Miller supervisory/management personnel regardless of job title or routine job duties.
- Website is www.macmiller.com.