The Building Controls Engineering Manager leads the Controls Engineering Team, which is responsible for performing hardware engineering, software engineering and network level commissioning for major construction and retrofit projects. This individual employs practices and develops processes to ensure cost effective controls engineering while providing consistent delivery and customer satisfaction. S/he serves as the Company expert in technology application and controls engineering processes. They are expected to work effectively with Sales to support the technical attributes of project development and scoping, engineering to integrate the controls design in parallel with the completion of the project construction documents and the Building Performance field operations team to successfully implement enhanced energy efficiency strategies.
To be successful in the Building Controls Engineering Manager position, an individual will need to be able to accomplish the following:
- Lead and develop a strong building controls engineering team with appropriate skill diversity to handle complex projects.
- Communicate effectively at all levels (Sales, Consultants, Management, Field Operations, and Building Operations/Management, as an example).
- Understand and effectively communicate the criticalness of aligning the building controls engineering process with the overall project delivery process.
- Understand project cost and how they are impacted by controls application and engineering decisions.
- Achieve high levels of customer satisfaction, both internal and external.
- Insure Building Performance Controls Engineering team is focused on the lowest total installed cost solutions to meet the customer’s needs and expectations.
- Promote continued learning of emerging technologies, control strategies, and other related topics in the building controls industries.
- Manage and schedule the workload of the Building Performance Controls Engineering Team. Prioritizes work, supervises and coordinates projects to insure progress and timely completion of the controls engineering deliverables. Provides timeframe estimates to project management for job schedule and cost evaluation.
- Develops, implements, monitors and communicates the Building Performance Controls Engineering Team processes, strategies and standards. Provides engineering cost estimates during project development phases.
- Provides advanced technical support on application or implementation issues. Serves as the Company expert in building technology application engineering.
- Seeks out new and creative applications and operational techniques. Implements improvements in the processes, facilities, tools and equipment to improve quality, reliability, productivity, and to provide leading edge technology.
- Leads the development and implementation of internal and external building automation training programs that are focused on Owners, Building Operators and Managers, A&E Consultants, Company employees and the Building Performance Team.
- Selects web-based architecture, system controllers and end devices that will meet the project objectives and minimize the total cost of installation.
- Utilizes financial, contract management and other management reports to evaluate team success.
- Develops and maintains viable relationships with customers, consultants and architect engineers. Leverages these relationships as needed during project development and execution.
- Maintains high level of engineering standards. Ensures maximum reuse of proven designs and programs.
- Performs complex engineering and supports network commissioning as required on assigned projects.
- Hires, retains, mentors, performance manages, and plans for career development of direct reports. Prepares and delivers clear performance expectations, performance reviews and development plans for direct reports.
- Works with Project Teams to insure timely delivery of engineering deliverables in order to maximize successful execution of projects.
- Ensures work performed is in compliance with state, local and federal legal requirements and operates on the job with the highest of ethics.
This is a condensed job description. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties this position may perform.
GENERAL QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
The Building Controls Engineering Manager position requires a person with good written and oral communication skills, and a working knowledge of: Electrical & Mechanical Systems, Building Automation Systems and Controls, Project Administration, Document Control and Project Scheduling as well as good computer skills with the ability to use Drafting Tools such as AutoCAD and Business Tools such as MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint.
The individual must also demonstrate:
- Ability to effectively interact with customers, field personnel, sales, and office staff.
- Strong verbal, written, analytical, persuasion and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to accurately and calmly handle multiple priorities with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work independently or in a team atmosphere.
- Pride in one’s work and accept a level of responsibility for his/her professionalism and accuracy.
- Qualities of an innovative thinker and team leader.
- A positive image of the Company and herself/himself to customers.
- Have an excellent attendance record at prior employment.
- A valid license and clean driving record.
- Ability to consistently set goals and meet deadlines.
- Ability to adapt to flexible responsibilities.
DESIRED CERTIFICATIONS & EDUCATIONAL ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or equivalent work experience in electrical/mechanical building systems.
- United Sates Green Building Council (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Accredited Professional for Existing Buildings / Operations & Maintenance.
- Tridium AX certification, Honeywell or Siemens product experience required
- Certified Energy Manager certification.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
The candidate must possess and be adaptable to the following physical abilities and working conditions:
- Constant computer use.
- Ability to see, hear well (either naturally or with correction) and speak clearly.
- Coordinate the movement of your eyes, hands, and fingers.
- Reach for, handle, use fingers and manipulate objects.
- Physical requirements include: standing, bending, and sitting; repetitive motions of hands and wrists.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Must be capable of working extended hour days when job/business needs demand.
EMPLOYEE BENEFIT PROGRAM
MacDonald-Miller Facility Solutions presently provides employee coverage for:
- Medical, dental, vision for employee (coverage available for dependents for shared premium).
- 401k retirement plan including Company matching.
- Holiday Pay.
- Vacation and sick leave compensation.
- Disability income protection.
- Employee and Dependent Life Insurance.
- Flexible Spending Account.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Please read all pages of this job description. Your resume or application is reviewed prior to setting up a personal interview, so please make sure your resume is up to date. If you do not have a resume, you may fill out an application at the address listed above.
- MacDonald-Miller Facility Solutions, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a non-smoking facility. MacDonald-Miller is also a drug and alcohol free workplace and tests all new hires (subject to and in accordance with union bargaining agreements).
- MacDonald-Miller Facility Solutions participates in E-Verify and will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) with information from each new employee’s Form I-9 to confirm work authorization. This information is kept completely confidential, is obtained only after a candidate is hired, and will not be used to pre-screen any job applicant.
- This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position would perform. All employees of MacDonald-Miller are expected to perform tasks as assigned by MacDonald-Miller supervisory/management personnel regardless of job title or routine job duties.
- Website is www.macmiller.com.