An Engineer is responsible for the layout, design and coordination of assigned projects. The size of Company projects range from solo projects to projects requiring multi-member teams and is under the direction of the Engineering Manager.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- Deliver high quality designs that are fully coordinated and free of errors. Measured by re-work and warranty costs.
- Meet or beat budgets set for engineering on each job assigned.
- Respond to all communications within 24 hours of receipt.
BRIEF TASK DESCRIPTION
An employee possessing the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below is accountable for the following:
- Represent MacDonald-Miller on multiple projects, both internally and externally, bringing projects from concept to successful conclusion with minimal supervision. Coordinate a team effort to complete the projects error free and within budget.
- Know and stay current on codes, industry practices and state-of-the-art technologies.
- Learn and understand the present MacDonald-Miller engineering system including standards, methods, forms and computer programs.
- Design, calculate and coordinate HVAC and plumbing systems.
- Perform calculations, equipment selection and specification, system design and layout.
- Complete final working drawings which may include CAD, REVIT or manual drafting.
- Coordinate HVAC/plumbing design with the architect, structural engineer and other sub-contractors.
- Work with field personnel in resolving installation problems that may arise.
- Mentor and train other team members.
- Understand, accept and support MacDonald-Miller’s Operating Guidelines, Operational Beliefs and Customer Commitment.
- Performs additional tasks as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The candidate must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in design of commercial, mechanical systems.
- Possess a strong knowledge of common HVAC/plumbing & piping systems.
- A Bachelor of Science degree in engineering; (LEED AP preferred, but not required).
- Ability to read architectural, structural and mechanical plans and be familiar with a variety of HVAC/plumbing systems and terminology.
- Advanced knowledge of the mechanical discipline and equipment.
- Proven experience in employing strong analytical and problem-solving skills in system design.
- Intimate knowledge of the Uniform and International Codes, Washington and Seattle Energy Codes, SMACNA and ASHRAE standards & guidelines.
- Willingness to adapt to MacDonald-Miller standards and procedures.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Products, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Proficient in AutoCAD and/or other CAD drafting software.
- Must be creative and adept at problem-solving and technical troubleshooting of equipment and processes.
- Ability and willingness to work independently or in a team atmosphere.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities and the ability to work with others in a team environment.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, analytical, persuasion and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to adapt to multiple and varied responsibilities.
- Ability to consistently set goals and meet deadlines and adapt to flexible responsibilities.
- Possess qualities of an innovative thinker and team leader.
- Take pride in one’s work and accept a level of responsibility for his/her professionalism and accuracy.
- Project a positive image of the company and herself/himself to customers.
- Ability to effectively interact with customers, technicians, sales, office and field personnel.
- A valid license and impeccable driving record are required.
- History of good employment attendance and dependability.
- Actively participate in the MacDonald-Miller sponsored Education and Training Program.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & WORKING CONDITIONS
The candidate must possess and be adaptable to the following physical abilities and working conditions:
- Constant computer use.
- Ability to see, hear well (either naturally or with correction) and speak clearly.
- Coordinate the movement of your eyes, hands, and fingers.
- Physical requirements include: sitting, standing and bending; repetitive motions of hands and wrists.
- Reach for, handle, use fingers and manipulate objects.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions.
- Ability to participate in job walk-throughs.
- Must be capable of working extended hour days when job/business needs demand.
- A candidate is required to pass a pre-hire drug screening (after job offer).
This is a condensed job description. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties this position may perform.