The Controls Engineer is responsible for performing hardware engineering, software engineering and network level commissioning for Building Automation Systems on new construction and existing system retrofit projects. Ensures work performed is in compliance with state, local and federal legal requirements and operates on the job with the highest of ethics. Employs practices and develops processes to ensure cost effective controls engineering while providing consistent delivery and customer satisfaction. Serves as a company expert in technology application and controls engineering processes. Works effectively with Sales to support the technical attributes of project development and scoping. The Controls Engineer works directly with Mechanical Engineering to integrate the controls design with the mechanical design and project construction documents as well as supports the field operations and energy teams to successfully incorporate enhanced efficiency strategies into control design sequences. This professional will report to the Controls Engineering Team Leader.
To be successful in the Controls Engineering position, an individual will need to be able to accomplish the following:
- Develop appropriate skill diversity to handle complex projects.
- Communicate effectively at all levels (Sales, Consultants, Management, Field Operations, and Building Operations/Management, as an example).
- Understand and effectively communicate the criticalness of aligning the building controls engineering process with the overall project delivery process.
- Understand project cost and how they are impacted by controls application and engineering decisions.
- Achieve high levels of customer satisfaction, both internal and external.
- Insure work is focused on the lowest total installed cost solutions while meeting the customer’s needs and expectations.
- Actively engage in continued learning of emerging technologies, control strategies, and other related topics in the building controls industries.
- Insure progress and timely completion of the controls engineering deliverables. Provides timeframe estimates to supervisor for job schedule and cost evaluation.
- Develops, implements, monitors and communicates the Building Performance Controls Engineering Team processes, strategies and standards. Provides engineering cost estimates during project development phases.
- Seeks out new and creative applications and operational techniques. Implements improvements in the processes, facilities, tools and equipment to improve quality, reliability, productivity, and to provide leading edge technology.
- Provides advanced technical support on application or implementation issues. Serves as a knowledgeable company resource in building technology application engineering.
- Participates in internal and external building automation training programs that are focused on Owners, Building Operators and Managers, A&E Consultants, Company employees and the Building Performance Team.
- Selects web-based architecture, system controllers and end devices that will meet the project objectives and minimize the total cost of installation.
- Develops and maintains viable relationships with customers, consultants and architect engineers. Leverages these relationships as needed during project development and execution.
- Maintains high level of engineering standards. Ensures maximum reuse of proven designs and programs.
- Performs complex engineering and supports network commissioning as required on assigned projects.
- Works with Project Teams to insure timely delivery of engineering deliverables in order to maximize successful execution of projects.
It is desired that the candidate possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Bachelor of Science degree in Engineering, or equivalent work experience in electrical or mechanical building systems.
- Minimum of 5 years of direct experience in DDC Controls engineering.
- Preferred experience with Honeywell and Siemens Talon web-based products and applications.
- National Environmental Balancing Bureau (NEBB) certification for air & hydronics, building commissioning and/or sound & vibration is desired.
- United Sates Green Building Council (USGBC) Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Accredited Professional for Existing Buildings / Operations & Maintenance is desired.
- Association of Energy Engineers (AEE) Certified Energy Manager (CEM) certification is desired.
- Demonstrated experience with existing building controls migration engineering inclusive of project scoping, owner presentation, hardware engineering, software engineering, start-up and system commissioning.
- Above-average skills with Microsoft Office Products, i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Schedule and Outlook.
- Proficient use of AutoCAD.
- Possess excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with customers, staff, and management at all levels.
- Possess strong organizational, analytical, prioritizing, and decision-making skills.
- Ability to accurately and calmly handle multiple priorities with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to work independently and in a team atmosphere.
- Take pride in one’s work and accept a level of responsibility for his/her professionalism and accuracy.
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record are required.